One of the blogs I've been following since I started blogging has been The Plaid Princess, written by Amanda from Georgia. Her posts are always laced with a preppy vibe, covering the prepster obsessions such as monograms, plaid, seersucker and more. Today, I'm featuring an interview with Amanda about what inspired her blog and some insight into their her shopping and fashion philosophy.
1. What inspired you to start a blog?
1. What inspired you to start a blog?
Well I had played with my blog back when I was a freshman starting college. I had found some blogs from searching about "what college/sorority life was going to be about". I was very shy and quiet when I started college so I was nervous and wanted some pointers. I then realized how hard it was to blog, be in school, and a sorority so let's say I quickly put my blogging dream on hold. Flash forward to a few months ago, I woke up as an alumni with way too much time on my hands so I went back to reading some of my favorite blogs that had inspired me in the beginning (SummerWind, Classy Girls Wear Pearls, and etc.) and now I'm hooked. I can't imagine not blogging and I really hope I continue to grow as a blogger!
2. How would you define your style?
My style is "soccer mom chic with a little bit of edge". Let me explain: usually I can be found wearing an over-sized t-shirt, my favorite flared jeans from American Eagle, and my super comfy Coach tennis shoes. I know sounds terrible but, I choose comfort on an everyday basis over fashion. I would say I'm drawn to the more "preppy or conservative" way of dress but, I love throwing in something edgy and out of the box. I absolutely do not want to be cookie cutter.
3. Where is your favorite place to shop in the Atlanta area?
I'm going to sound like a shopaholic for this one:
- Boutiques- My number one place is Mint Julep in Buckhead, it is the Lilly Pulitzer signature shop and is absolutely to die for! Other shops would be Fab'rik, Swank Women's Clothing, Tootsies, and C. Wonder.
- Malls- I normal stick to Lenox Square Mall and Phipps Plaza.
- Outlets & consignment shops- Atlanta has some of the best consignment shops I have ever been in. I'm talking vintage Chanel and Tory Burch everywhere. Here are those Tanger Outlets at Locust Grove, Psycho Sisters Consignment Boutique, Labels Resale Boutique, Alexis Suitcase, and downtown has the best Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and of course - - Goodwill Buckhead (always has a TON of Lilly!)
4. What's your favorite thing in your closet?
My favorite thing in my closet is not a piece of clothing but, a quilt. The quilt my grandmother gave to my mom and then my mom gave to me when my boyfriend and I moved in together. We used the quilt for almost a year straight but, it is delicate so now it sits in the top of our closet. I'm waiting till we get our very own place with no roommates to feature it somewhere. It's beautiful!
5. Would you rather splurge on one big item or buy a bunch of smaller things?
I'm the type of girl who wants to buy a lot of little things for herself but, never ends up doing it and just saves the money. I'm going to start treating myself to a little item every now and then but, saving for bigger things and for the future is all I'm doing right now. I think you can get a better deal and a more treasured item if you wait and save up for something special.
6. What's your dream vacation spot?
My absolute dream is to go around Europe- Germany, United Kingdom, Ireland, Sweden, France, Italy, just all over!
7. What's the one thing you can't leave home without?
My cell phone is the one item that is absolutely always with me. If you can't get ahold of me then call the police because my phone is literally glued to my hand!
8. Do you have any makeup or beauty secrets?
People ask me all the time how I have such clear skin and soft hair and here is my secret… If you don't *have* to wash your hair or put on makeup don't! I know it sounds simple but, it totally works. Don't over wash and over product your natural beautiful self! Some days I feel my prettiest with my hair up in a ponytail and I'll I've done to my face is wash it and put Aveeno lotion on.
9. Who's your fashion icon(s)?
I have a few, first would be Leighton Meester in her role as Blair on Gossip Girl, Kate Middleton as always (she makes me want to dye my hair dark so bad!), Sarah Vickers from Classy Girls Wear Pearls, Sarah Jessica Parker, and of course Jackie O.
10. Name one thing on your wish list right now.
I have a long list because I'm about to go out and do some spring shopping! A really cute spring maxi skirt or dress, neutral wedges that aren't super high, colored skinny jeans, nude ballet flats, a new purse, and a new iPhone cover!